Old 10-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Willondon

Default Compost ingredients?

Aaron Baugher wrote:
Pat Meadows writes:
[...]
: the theory or practice of living on a diet made up of
vegetables , fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or
dairy products

This definition is at least consistent: no food which required an
animal to die. [...]

I once read of 'fruititists'. I think that's the word, but I've been
unable to find it in a dictionary here. Practiced in some areas of India,
the theory is that you don't eat anything which requires animal *or* plant
to die. Allowable foods mentioned were milk, honey, nuts, fruits.

Eggs sold for eating are normally unfertilized, so they were never
alive. [...]

I wondered where eggs fit in, but if they're eating nuts, fruits and
seeds, they should in theory be OK with unfertilized eggs.

Another way to categorize vegetarians is by motive. I see
(1) ethical - believe it is morally wrong to use animals;
(2) dietary - do not believe certain foods are healthy in a diet;
(3) aesthetic - meats, seafoods or dairy do not appeal to them, or leave a
bad taste or unsettled stomach after eating.

Of course even with the same motive, there are differences of opinion as
to what should be excluded from a vegetarian diet.

--
Willondon