Old 10-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Pelvis Popcan

Default FYI - Sevin Pesticide caused aphid infestation

We use a strong spray from the water hose to kill aphid. If that fails, we
use a tablespoon of dishsoap in a spray bottle filled with water to kill them.

Jan

That's probably why Garden Tech lists aphid on their pest list, since
Sevin Concentrate contains agents which thicken it and make it stick
to leaves. So technically it can kill aphids by drowning them the same
way soapy water can.

On my convolvulus, I actually found an equal number of white flakes
which turned out to be dead aphids on the *tops* of the leaves. But
since it's much harder to hit the *undersides* of the leaves which is
where I learned aphids tend to congregate, it's more effective to use
a chemical that actually kills them.

Of course it depends on the plant, as on some plants it might be
easier to hit both sides of the leaves.

Thanks for the tip!