Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Aozotorp

Default Fire danger big!

(Larry Harrell) writes:

Since when does the USFS use clearcuts to solely reduce fuels and fire
danger? Most USFS fuel reduction projects remove small diamteter trees
in overstocked stands. Bush's plans include removing some medium-sized
trees in order to insure that projects do indeed sell. Nobody wins if
the project is prepared and no one bids on it. You have major
misconceptions about how the system works. In California, we've done
many large projects that don't involve trees bigger than 30" dbh trees
and they did sell with most of the marked trees in the 9-18" dbh
range.
Get a clue, bud. (He probably thinks he's being successful if he
wastes our time but, this is all a part of educating the American
public)

I doubt the USFS is much interested in what happens in the suburbs.
Perhaps the BLM has some land near developed areas, but unless they have
shop buildings on the land or have developed a BLM park or campground,
all they have to worry about is vegetation.

Christ Man, Have you actually been around the West Lately! Have you seen how
close to National Forests and other Public Lands Housing Projects are going
up???