Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Larry Caldwell

Default Biscuit fire salvage plans

(Larry Harrell) writes:

JEFF BARNARD
The Associated Press

The Biscuit fire burned 500,000 acres last summer, primarily on the
Siskiyou National Forest in southwestern Oregon, making it the biggest
in the nation for 2002 and the biggest in Oregon’s recorded
history.

The biggest in the last century. The Silverton fire in 1865 burned over
a million acres. Since it burned primarily inaccessible wildland, it was
not surveyed at the time, but the best estimates put it at 1.3 million
acres, over 2.5x the size of the Biscuit fire.

Rep. Peter DeFazio sent a letter to Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth
and Northwest Regional Forester Linda Goodman urging them not to take
on new work that would delay the start of salvage logging and
reforestation from this fall into sometime next year.

“I am extremely disturbed that at this late date, the Forest
Service is considering adding a sixth alternative,” DeFazio
wrote.

[...]

Comment by poster: There's no room for greed in our National Forests.
Plans drawn up using science to restore areas is the way to go. That
means "micro-managing" very small plots of land and doing the right
thing.

So how is that going for you, Larry? It looks to me like federal forest
management is done by people who never set foot on the ground.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc