Old 10-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Biscuit fire salvage plans

Larry Caldwell wrote in message nk.net...
(Larry Harrell) writes:

Comment by poster: There's no room for greed in our National Forests.
Plans drawn up using science to restore areas is the way to go. That
means "micro-managing" very small plots of land and doing the right
thing.

So how is that going for you, Larry? It looks to me like federal forest
management is done by people who never set foot on the ground.

Often times, it does appear to be that way, Larry. Just because a
project CAN be put together using just maps and aerial photos doesn't
mean that it should be. I have lots of heartburn with the declaration
that a tree has to be completely dead before it can be salvaged.
Hopefully, that is not a nationwide policy. I saw a pine out on the
project I am working on that still had a slight bit of green on it but
was completely girdled with the "cooked" bark sloughing off. I marked
it to be cut knowing that in two more days it would be "red and dead".
Personally, I strive to do what is right for the land using my vast
experience and the most current science. Seems that the USFS is
"dumbing down" the process so that the public can follow along with
our projects. For example, if the public doesn't see any green logging
slash, then we aren't cutting the wrong trees in the burn. Nope, we
don't want to bother the public with learning or trusting their public
servants to do their jobs with integrity, knowledge and skill. We're
wasting money making me (and the logger) work the same ground 2 or 3
times (or more) in order to remove hazardous trees from roadside
areas.

Larry, Federal eco-forestry rules!