Old 10-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Bob Lee

Default Fire danger big!

Larry Caldwell wrote:

(Aozotorp) writes:

Christ Man, Have you actually been around the West Lately! Have you seen
how
close to National Forests and other Public Lands Housing Projects are going
up???

Well of course, but why would the feds care? They aren't the ones
building the housing developments.

Well, as much as I enjoy a cynical comment every now and then I need to
point out a couple of reasons why feds might ca
- they are *asked* to care by the legislative branch. Check out
www.fireplan. gov
- many fed firefighters live in the woods, so they have a stake in their
neighbors and own homes
- some actually feel sort of a commitment to public service.

You should also realize that there is no way to stop a forest fire if it
is dry and the wind is blowing. It is beyond human ability to stand in
front of that. However, it is fairly simple for your house to survive a
forest fire. Roof it with metal, side it with concrete, clean all
the debris out of your gutters, clear all vegetation for 100' in every
direction, and install several thousand gallons of water storage. That
means no cedar shakes and no cedar decks. Install a concrete patio
instead.

Either that or run the risk of losing your home to a wildfire. It's your
choice. Accept the consequences.

Yep.

Bob