Old 10-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Compost ingredients?

Willondon said:

Aaron Baugher wrote:
Pat Meadows writes:
[...]
: the theory or practice of living on a diet made up of
vegetables , fruits, grains, nuts, and sometimes eggs or
dairy products

This definition is at least consistent: no food which required an
animal to die. [...]

The act of farming is always detrimental to some animal. The 'murders'
are more remote, though. The mice turned up (or crushed) in their nests,
the groundhogs the farmer shoots, traps, or gasses, he deer hunted
to protect the crops (extra permits are available to farmers and orchardists
for taking deer) -- and so on. (What about all the animals killed/evicted
in clearing the land of native vegetation for farming?)

I once read of 'fruititists'. I think that's the word, but I've been
unable to find it in a dictionary here. Practiced in some areas of India,
the theory is that you don't eat anything which requires animal *or* plant
to die. Allowable foods mentioned were milk, honey, nuts, fruits.

Fruitarians.
And aren't they killing all those potential baby trees (nuts)?

(Has anyone here read "Murder in the Kitchen" by Alan Watts?)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)