Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Composting with wood chips

John DeBoo said:

Any reason why one shouldn't add the wood chips after cutting
forewood with a chainsaw to their compost pile? Chips would be
mostly Pine.

Wood chips are great for keeping a pile more open to air movement.
(And creating a situation where air can move in at the bottom of the
pile and rise up through it is ideal.)

Just remember, the wood chips will take a long time to break down
and require plenty of 'green' material to do so.

Also, since I read where the smaller the scraps for composting the
better, seems it wouldn't hurt to pull the plants in the fall and
run over them with a lawn mower first. Thoughts?

Chopping everything up and mixing it well *before* piling it up is what
I prefer for hot, batch composting. Fork it into a bin with provisions
for air moving up through from the bottom and let it cook...

(We're going to start a new batch today. Should be steamy by mid-week.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)