Old 10-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Ralph D.

Default Monarda Fungis / Spray

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. It's supposed to stop raining mid-week,
and I'll try to use that for some damage control time... but they've been
saying it's gonna stop for months now and they've not been right yet :-(

"Derryl Killan" wrote in message
. ca...
Hi Ralph

Get your fungicide and a wetting agent (dish soap) and spray several

times.
You won't hurt the bees.

Derryl

"Ralph D." wrote in message
Hello again.

We have lots of Monarda in large beds spread around a large garden. I

have
never had trouble with the fungus, or whatever it is, that I have heard
about, until this year.

I am in the area of PA that is seeing rain *every* day since it was snow
every day and what was our most lush garden ever is now starting to turn
brown with this fungus looking stuff. It started on the Monarda, but is

now
starting to spread to the coneflowers, shastas, rudbeckia, comfortplant

and
more... and at an alarming rate.

The nursery has suggested something called Comdaconil (sp?) that I have
never used. I'm not that concerned about using chemicals, if that's what

it
takes to stop this now (at this rate I may only have 2 or 3 days to

act),
but I am concerned about it's effect on bees... will it harm them?

I have a large vegetable garden on the other side of the property that

is
just now getting around to producing (as it took so long to get soil dry
enough to work) and cannot afford to lose the bees. If it is not harmful

the bees... can I use it directly in the veggies, as I'm getting a bad
fungus situation over there, too.

In all my years of gardening, I've never dealt with this kid of

persistent
rain. It is not like it is way above our usual amounts... it's just that

it
is every day... the ground stays saturated constantly and I'm using

boards
to walk on when I get in there (as little as possible) as this much

water
is
already bound to turn our heavy soil to concrete. The result is that
everything in both gardens is getting sick, and I'm almost surely going

have to resort to chemical help.