Old 10-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Frogleg

Default Composting with wood chips

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:55:34 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

Any reason why one shouldn't add the wood chips after cutting
forewood with a chainsaw to their compost pile? Chips would be
mostly Pine.

Also, since I read where the smaller the scraps for composting the
better, seems it wouldn't hurt to pull the plants in the fall and
run over them with a lawn mower first. Thoughts?

Street tree (species unknown - this was in my pre-gardening era) fell
in a storm years ago and efficient city services came out and took it
away and ground up the stump, leaving a 5'x4' area of bare dirt and
wood chips. Whoof! Watch things grow! I planted zinnias and my
neighbor sunflowers. Quite a display. No fancy "compost" -- just
fluffed-up dirt and wood chips.

Smaller decays/composts faster. Whole branches in a 'hot' compost pile
(or logs left to rot) will eventually be reduced to basic components.

You can also make 'firestarters' (for fireplaces, of course) by mixing
sawdust/chips with melted paraffin in paper muffin- or nut cups with a
wick inserted. Just a thought... :-)