Old 10-08-2003, 03:05 PM
vonroach

Default Swamp Lawn

On 09 Aug 2003 23:37:54 GMT, wrote:

vonroach wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 01:20:27 -0700, "Frederick Claus"
wrote:

After evry rain, my backyard is a giant swamp. Behind the pool where the
ground slopes there is always a giant puddle. The rest of the lawn you
can not really tell it is swampy until you walk on it.

Any ideas as to how to fix it? Should I level out the yard with new dirt
and grass seed, or just dig a drainage ditch?

Suggest a mixture of top soil and sand. Plain dirt gets muddy and makes
it worse. Avoid `bank sand' if possible (it tends to be salty). Good soil
is pretty expensive. After applied and leveled, then seed.

It sounds like he needs drain tile, french drain, or some such.

Depends on how much money he wants to spend and availability of drainage. Drains
must lead somewhere, drain tile in a hole in the ground will just be submerged.
Maybe just try a little fill at first.