Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Beecrofter

Default FYI - Sevin Pesticide caused aphid infestation

Pelvis Popcan wrote in message . ..
I have been spraying my ornamental flowers every 14 days starting in
June with Carbaryl (Sevin).

This past Monday, two days after I sprayed on Saturday, I was pruning
off deadheads and dead or yellow leaves from my plants when I came to
two containers of convolvulus that had quite a few yellow leaves. I
noticed a very pungent odor. After I clipped a couple of leaves off, I
noticed that tons of pieces were flaking off of them. I discovered
that the pieces were live aphids. The under sides of all of the leaves
were clotted with them.

I was able to kill them off using Raid House and Garden spray.

I did some research and discovered that Carbaryl is ineffective at
killing aphids, even though the website for Sevin (gardentech.com)
lists aphids on their pest list. After searching for "aphid" and
"carbaryl," I read of some studies where aphid population dramatically
increased after spraying repeatedly with Carbaryl. This is because
Carbaryl doesn't kill aphids but does kill most of their natural
predators (namely ladybugs).

I have decided to switch from Carbaryl to Esfenvalerate (Ortho Bug Be
Gone Concentrate).

Why not learn how to garden? Most aphid infestations that get out of
hand are self inflicted. Change your cultural practices and you will
see fewer aphids.