Old 10-08-2003, 03:14 PM
Aileen Howard

Default Unknown creepy crawlie

Thanks for the replies, I think it probably was a disturbed hawkmoth
chrysalis, having been 'googling' at 'orrible things on the Net. Our
neighbour's old apple tree overhangs our patio at the bottom of the garden,
and they never pick the fruit, which falls off onto our side. Because they
don't do anything to care for the tree, the apples are always diseased and
we throw them away. My guess is that as one of the bigger apples fell
through the branches, it dislodged the pupa, which fell onto the crazy
paving and was making for the soil when I happened to see it.

All I can say is that if that is the size of the pupa, I hope I don't
encounter the moth when it emerges!!

Best regards to all who were kind enough to reply,

Aileen
"Matt" wrote in message

"Aileen Howard" wrote in message
Thanks to all of you for the replies - it was segmented as in an
armadillo! - and moved not on legs, but by peristalsis? Hope it isn't

an
escaped pet and is just a baby, we do have a pet shop about half a mile

away
which sells all sorts of scary things (scary to me, anyway).

I suspect it was a hawkmoth chrysalis. I have seen them before and they

can
move independently. It had probably been disturbed and was heading back to
the soil to pupate.

Matt

---