Old 10-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Phisherman

Default Cat tails question

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:56:18 GMT, Roy Hauer
wrote:

I dug some cat tails up from a swampy area and planted them in my
ponds inlet and outlet waterways. They multipled, and have grown
great, and are doing what I had wanted. However, none of them have
gotten the so called brownish colored cob thing on them yet. Is there
different types that do and don't have this cob? It matters not,
weathwer they have the cob or not, since as all I was looking for was
to make an area to fill in with some type of vegetation when the
water level gets low, and not have to look at weeds and mud, and since
they grow in relatively shallow areas do not have to worry about them
taking over my entire pond.

The question is just out of curiosty not need.
Thanks

They will flower, believe me. I made the same misktake and let them
grow in my pond (25' x 18') and they took over the entire pond. I
spent several hours pulling them out, then pulling them out for
several months to eradicate them. I plant to plant a less invasive
variety, such as dwarf or varigated variety. I understand they are
edible, even the pollen is used in some dishes.