Old 10-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Chris Owens

Default Predator squirrels? ? ?

Make a cage of chickenwire that you can set up around the tree as
the fruit begins to ripen. A cylinder with a flat top works
well, and can be dismantled every year for storage . . . plus you
can drape it with shade cloth quite readily if your fruit is
subject to sun scald. Right now, our orchard looks like some
sort of wierd space installation, with half the trees guarded /
shaded . . . but, WE get to use the fruit.

Chris Owens

Ray Jenkins wrote:

I have a nice pear tree which always produces a good crop. But the moment
the fruit enters the first stages of ripening, the tree is totally stripped
by squirrels. Often they don't even eat any of the pears, just gnaw the stem
off the tree and let them fall.

Any suggestions welcome.