Old 10-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Rusty Hinge

Default mystery plant

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

How interesting. I wish I had not thrown away my book on edible and
inedible fungi. I did it when I realised that I simply did not have the
courage to pick and eat a fungus described in the book and "recognised" by
me. Except for Jew's ear and giant puff balls. It is impossible to mistake
them.

Giant puffballs, yes, but there are things you could confuse with Jew's
ear, though they're unlikely to do you any serious harm.

Beefsteak fungus, Sperassis crispa, blewits/bluelegs/blue stalks and
wood blewits are pretty unmistakeable too. I'd lash out a few quid and
buy 'Mushrooms and other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe' by Roger
Phillips, Pan or Macmillan, ISBN 0 330 26441 9

Whereabouts do you live?

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.