Old 10-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Phisherman

Default Composting with wood chips

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 22:55:34 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

Any reason why one shouldn't add the wood chips after cutting
forewood with a chainsaw to their compost pile? Chips would be
mostly Pine.

Also, since I read where the smaller the scraps for composting the
better, seems it wouldn't hurt to pull the plants in the fall and
run over them with a lawn mower first. Thoughts? TIA

Wood chips make a great mulch or garden path. All this rain has left
some muddy areas where wood chips would help keep the feet dry.
They take quite some time to compost. I have loads of sawdust-both
hardwoods and softwoods (I do extensive woodworking) and it takes at
least 10 months for a pile to break down. Adding 34-0-0 speeds it up.
The finer the material is chopped up, the faster it will compost.