Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 PM
simy1

Default Vegetarians ( Compost ingredients?

(Jan Flora) wrote in message ...
waste). For the coffee-swilling vegan, there are always vitamin pills.
Or brewer's yeast.

Ruminants manufacture the B-complex vitamins in their digestive systems.
(I'd have to look at my notes from an animal nutrition class to tell you
exactly which chamber of the stomach makes it.) If it's a bacterial
synthesis, they'd make it in their rumens -- the first chamber.

Don't know about mono-gastrics (people, pigs, horses). I'd have to look
it up.

Jan

The bacteria in our gut who are responsible for B-12 do not appreciate
an acid environment (both coffee and alcohol have low pH). It is
possible that B12 in cows be produced in the intestine also. Either
way, all manures are known to have large amounts of B12.