Old 11-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Skunk odor

From: "Frank Logullo"
Date: Sun, Aug 10, 2003 7:25 PM

"Ed Schmitt" wrote in message
13 months ago, a white skunk paid a visit, attacking my dog, my daughter
and son, and my wood deck. My daughter,son, and dog are fine. But the
wood deck still reeks of skunk odor, especially when it is warm, humid,
and or raining. What can I use to get rid of this odor that seems to

be
imbedded into the wood, short of replacing the wood? $$$$$

Try this:
http://www.agilityability.com/skunk_...val_recipe.htm
I suspect diluted bleach would also work but do not leave it on too long
or
it might attach the wood.
Either peroxide or hypochlorite should oxidize the mercaptan to an odorless
form.
Frank

A few years back I had to treat a large area at the back of the garden where a
skunk must have met an enemy during the night. (This event affected the entire
neighborhood, since everyone was griping the next day....and the next.....) I
dumped a pretty big amount of hydrated lime over the area, not wanting to put
anything on the soil that would damage it in the long or short run. It did
seem to help within a couple of days, although the smell stuck around to some
extent for at least a month, until some hard rains came by.

Hydrated lime on a deck would be a mess for a while.....temporary whitewash and
all that......but it could work with much less toxicity and wood damage than
some other products.

Just a thought.

Best,
Tyra