Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Chris Owens

Default Composting with wood chips

John DeBoo wrote:

Any reason why one shouldn't add the wood chips after cutting
forewood with a chainsaw to their compost pile? Chips would be
mostly Pine.

Also, since I read where the smaller the scraps for composting the
better, seems it wouldn't hurt to pull the plants in the fall and
run over them with a lawn mower first. Thoughts? TIA

Wood chip works fine in compost piles. The finer the chip, the
faster it will break down. Ditto for plants you pull in the
fall. Just weigh the relative work involved in shredding them up
vs just letting them go. Personally, I've always gone for just
piling everything up and letting it process at it's own speed; I
don't even bother to turn the sucker. But, then, I have lots of
land and room for several LARGE compost piles. Not everyone has
that luxury. If you're looking for the pile to be compost by
spring, shredding up the plants will certainly help.

Chris Owens