Old 11-08-2003, 06:09 AM
Shiva

Default Black ratsnakes for vole control?

K.B. Cunningham wrote:

Hello

For what it's worth, I'm in Alabama, and have had great success in
controlling moles with gray rat snakes. I assume that "moles" are a
hillbilly relative of "voles"?!

Grainne explained it well. Voles do often move into old mole tunnels.
Moles apparently do not tunnel in the same place twice, so they can.

I've captured a few gray rats crossing the road,or nesting in someones
carport, so getting them for me isn't a problem.

I don't think I would be brave enough to catch a wild snake, but
what is your method of capturing them, just for the information?

I have instucted my
neighbors of my method, and fortunately; they've all been receptive. I
tell them if one of the snakes winds up where they don't want him,
simply call me; and I'll retrieve him.

So you are in the city too? Or a suburb? I know I don't want a
really *hands on* experience with a wild snake big enough to eat
a vole. I guess my question was, 1. do they eat voles and 2. could
it harm a black rat snake to release he and a female in my yard,
and if not at what size should I do it?

I occasionally find one that's
failed to cross the road safely, but other than that; no problems.

Oo, see, if I started seeing dead snakes I would never forgive
myself. I started out a few years ago using Rozol (only poison
pellets approved here in NC for outdoor rodents) and took out
two squirrels, and that was the end of that. I wouldn't even
kill the voles if they let me grow roses without totally
killing them. It gets frustrating.

As
far the recommended size, usually two to three feet is what I've found
to work best. And yes, they may deplete the intended food sounce, and
grow to the point of seeking bigger food items.

Hmm. Another problem. I love the chipmunk families, and they are not
very large creatures.

Then, they can be
relocated to an area further away from your yard.

Thank you, KBC, for the information. I restored the crosspost
to rec.gardens.roses because this is information pertinent
to that group. We have never discussed using snakes as vole
or mole controllers before, so it is good to have the
information.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,
KBC

"It's so long, to so many souls so far behind me,
Fair weather friends that I no longer know:
I've still got some same-ol' sad songs to remind me,
Of someone I used to be, so long ago"

WGJ