Old 11-08-2003, 06:11 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default mystery plant

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Just outside Hawes, high up in Wensleydale.
I did once see a fresh yellow beefsteak fungus on a tree, but I was plain
scared to pick it.

Ah, too far from me in South Norfolk to offer a fungus foray in Thetford
Forest then.

I will order the book.

You will not be disappointed. It gives you some sure (chemical) methods
of identifying some fungi.

Friends of mine who were keen collectors used to go foraging with 2
companion books by the same author. "Edible Fungi" and "Inedible Fungi".
They restricted their collecting to specimens which they were sure *were* in
the first volume and *were not* in the second volume. It was they who
taught me to eat giant puffballs.

I've got loads of books on mycology. Got to put up some bookshelves
before I can unpack them all.

Michael Jordan wrote a good guide, as did Pilat and Usak. (Can't
remember where tha accents go!)

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.