Old 11-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

Default mystery plant

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these

words:

Just outside Hawes, high up in Wensleydale.
I did once see a fresh yellow beefsteak fungus on a tree, but I was

plain
scared to pick it.

Ah, too far from me in South Norfolk to offer a fungus foray in Thetford
Forest then.

Would you by any chance know if there are any organised forays in Grisedale
Forest in the Lake District?

I will order the book.

You will not be disappointed. It gives you some sure (chemical) methods
of identifying some fungi.

Something better than sixpenny pieces turning black, I hope {:-))

Friends of mine who were keen collectors used to go foraging with 2
companion books by the same author. "Edible Fungi" and "Inedible

Fungi".
They restricted their collecting to specimens which they were sure

*were* in
the first volume and *were not* in the second volume. It was they who
taught me to eat giant puffballs.

I've got loads of books on mycology. Got to put up some bookshelves
before I can unpack them all.

Michael Jordan wrote a good guide, as did Pilat and Usak. (Can't
remember where tha accents go!)

All noted for browsing next time I am in a good bookshop.

[Franz Heymann]