Old 11-08-2003, 10:12 AM
dstvns

Default planting english walnuts

On 11 Aug 2003 01:25:43 -0700, (matt) wrote:

we live in northern va (zn:6, fairly acidic clay like soil) and was
interested in growing some english walnut trees. we can devote about
1/3 of an acre to this orchard. any questions that could be answered
would be appreciative.

1) does anyone know the proper distance to planting these trees?

About 30 feet apart

2) what is the ratio males to females that must be planted for proper
polination?

Two separate trees will cross-pollinate each other. I don't believe
they are dioceous.

3) at what season should we begin planting? month?

Spring is best, just before sprouting.

6) how do they fare against deer?

Very well when older, but I would protect new growth (5 ft or less)
with lots of netting so that deer don't over-browse it (re-adjust
netting every week or so, so they leaves have room to spread). The
walnuts will grow quickly if they like your area, which it sounds like
they will.

Dan