Old 11-08-2003, 10:44 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Neighborus ignoramus and our hedge

(Sally Thompson) wrote in
:

They have
removed growing tips of the wild roses and have also today cut off
some branches of an existing ash tree which was right on the boundary
- and thrown them over our side.

We are sure that our hedge will recover (and hope his dies quickly!)
but is there anything we can do legally about what he has done to the
ash tree? I've looked on the hedgeline site but it doesn't really
help.

Ash is awfully tough - and so are wild roses. Cutting them back really
won't do them any harm: in fact they will probably just come back stronger.
Though it would of course be better if he would discuss it with you, I
really think you'd be better off accepting that your neighbour doesn't like
the tree, and try not to let his behaviour upset you.

Ashes are beautiful trees, but a lot of people dislike them for their speed
of growth and ability to throw seedlings and suckers all over the place.
They are sometimes considered 'weed trees' in native hedges, because their
growth isn't very compact and they have no thorns - so not ideal for
keeping in stock - not that that matters to you, I imagine, but you can see
your neighbour has some tradition on his side too.

Victoria