Old 11-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Good company for a privet hedge?

PJ wrote in
. com:

I do have one question about privet which is that in "The Tree & Shrub
Expert" by Dr. D. G. Hessayon (who else?) it says about privet:

"Its drawback is that not many plants can thrive in its company."

I'm wondering in what way plants cannot thrive in its company? What
does it do to them?

I presume he means that (like most hedging plants) it tends to slurp up the
available water and food so the soil immediately next to it isn't ideal
for, say, roses or clematis or other things that like lots of food and
moisture.

I've not found it any worse than other hedges in that respect: things that
tolerate it a bit dry like, say, nasturtians, will cope, as will grass. I
think you'll be fine with lawn, though you might find that the bit next to
the hedge goes yellow a bit before the rest, if there is a big drought.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall