Old 11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
David J Bockman

Default planting english walnuts

FYI, NoVA is Zone 7, with some areas borderline to Zone 8 as of this year...

Dave

"matt" wrote in message
m...
greetings,

we live in northern va (zn:6, fairly acidic clay like soil) and was
interested in growing some english walnut trees. we can devote about
1/3 of an acre to this orchard. any questions that could be answered
would be appreciative.

1) does anyone know the proper distance to planting these trees?
2) what is the ratio males to females that must be planted for proper
polination?
3) at what season should we begin planting? month?
4) does anyone have a good nursery they can recommend with hardy
specimens?
5) are they succeptible to any diseases?
6) how do they fare against deer?
7) we live on septic so i'm curious how far from our leach field would
be considered a "safe" distance to plant these trees.

much thanks!