Old 11-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Garlic

(Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 14:03:39 -0400, Gary Woods wrote:

Store-bought garlic is dicey, because you don't know the variety and
where it does best. Some people do fine with it; I stick with known
varieties. Like quality seed, it's cheap compared to the work of
growing it.

Garlic in stores is often treated with a growth-inhibitor --
maleic anhydride, iirc -- to keep it from sprouting.

I don't think it is over here so much, Roger. I'm always finding sprouting
half-cloves that I've forgotten about in the cupboard or the veg tray in
the fridge.

I usually chop the sprouting leaves and use them as well as the cloves, but
last year I planted a few odds and ends, and they grew OK.

(If I'd been going for a real crop I'd probably have bought 'proper' bulbs,
but I was just experimenting.)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill