Old 11-08-2003, 03:32 PM
J. Del Col

Default New Anti-vole Weapon!

(Unique Too) wrote in message ...
If you all think this might work, how might I get some of these snakes?
I love reptiles and have kept snakes and lizards and frogs and salamanders
and toads as pets. You herp folks, how old should the snakes be before I let
them live in the yard? Do I need to get wild ones, or could those born in
captivity adapt? TIA!

I'm no snake lover, but I do let them live in my yard since I've always heard
the snakes will keep the mice and rat population under control. So why not
voles also?
The only caution I have for you is against releasing snakes not native to your
area. Too many creatures have naturalized and created havic with our natural
ecosystems already. If black rat snakes are native to your area, go for it.
They won't hurt and just might help with your porblem.

Releasing snakes into new territories is not a very good idea. What
will happen is that the more competitive snakes will survive, while
the less successful will move on to new territory or starve. Nature
really is red in tooth and claw. She also likes to keep her books
balanced. Predator/prey ratios are not easily changed.

J. Del Col