Old 11-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Hydrangea colours

Exiddor wrote in news:670peokmlsz3
:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:13:18 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

[...]
Miracid is know called Miracle-Grow Ericaceous Fertiliser. Failing
that, Chempak do a similar product with a similar name.

Thanks, but I found Miracid still on the shelves at Parkers Garden Centre
in Manchester - £6.45 for a 1kG box.

Ouch! You could get another plant for that!
While you are using it up, stick any old rusty nails, screws, bolts,
hinges and so on that you find to one side. Once you've used up the
Miracid they will come in handy.

I inherited a big pink hydrangea when I moved in to this house. The
previous owners had a big bonfire before they moved out. In the ashes, I
found much rusty door furniture.

I piled it all in a heap under the hydrangea, meaning to do something about
it later. This produced a strange effect: the side of the hydrangea next
to the little pile of rusty things is now a vibrant blue, but scales
through purple to pink on the other side!

I've now distributed the items more evenly around the plant, and hope it
will all be blue soon. They are hidden under a layer of mulch.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall