Old 11-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Natalie

Default Hydrangea colours

"
I inherited a big pink hydrangea when I moved in to this house. The
previous owners had a big bonfire before they moved out. In the ashes, I
found much rusty door furniture.

I piled it all in a heap under the hydrangea, meaning to do something

about
it later. This produced a strange effect: the side of the hydrangea next
to the little pile of rusty things is now a vibrant blue, but scales
through purple to pink on the other side!

I've now distributed the items more evenly around the plant, and hope it
will all be blue soon. They are hidden under a layer of mulch.

Victoria - did you bury the rusty things or just put them round the plant
with mulch on top? I have a pink Hydrangea which I would much prefer blue
and have been intending to try the rusty iron solution but thought I would
have to dig holes round the plant and bury them.

Natalie