Old 11-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] Pot packing...

At 08:43 PM 8/10/03 -0400, Nicolas Steenhout wrote:
Well, today was spent packing pots!
Today, I setup myself with bubble wrap and packing tape. Went to town. I
started wrapping the very small pots. I have a lot of tiny pots, some
micro-minis from Luis, some other rather small ones as well. Didn't
actually pack the pots, just set them aside.

Then I moved to larger pots and nestled as many as I could. Went that way,
until I had several bundles.

Then I got my boxes ready (the small Uhaul ones), lined it with a big
plastic garbage bag (shipping container may be at sea and on dock a while,
want to avoid humidity trouble as much as possible). Then I lined the
bottom of the boxes with bath towel. Started putting my pot bundles in,
filling lose space with socks, laying tshirts in between layers of bundles...

Nicolas

Hope they arrive safely. The biggest problem with pots and other breakables
is that, if not packed properly, they can shift and come into contact with
each other and thus break or chip. To prevent this most packers cut strips
of cardboard a little wider than the long dimension of the the pot. Wrap
the cardboard around the pot and secure it with packing tape, then tape
across the ends so it can't escape the 'tube' you just made. This makes it
impossible for the pots to contact each other. Double boxing also helps and
is achieved by putting a thin layer of packing 'peanuts' on the floor of
the box and covering them with a second floor of cardboard. The sides can
also be treated this way. This prevents damage from dropping. Tape all the
seams of the boxes with packing tape. The stresses boxes go through by
handlers is pretty incredible, not something you would want to watch.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++