Old 11-08-2003, 08:32 PM
M. Tiefert

Default Help ID'ing a tree - boxelder?

In article , "David J Bockman" wrote:

In answer to your question, no, Shagbark Hickory's bark only becomes more
shaggy with time..

Also one more question - do shagbark hickory's ultimately lose their
shagginess and gain a tougher, thicker-looking bark? I am asking
because I've seed trees I thought were large hickories (3 foot dia
trunk), but did not have the shaggy bark of younger-looking hickories.

There's a tree in Ohio (probably in NJ also) whose nuts look _kind_ of
like hickory, but the tree has smooth bark and the nuts aren't good to
eat. Our family used to call them pignuts.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/