Old 11-08-2003, 08:32 PM
rb

Default Fertilizing Trees

I assume the trees are in central Texas, right? A good time of year
to fertilize is in March or April, just before or at the time they
begin leafing out. Are the trees potted, or in the ground in their
permanent locations? It makes a difference. In pots, use fertilizer
sparingly.

These plants are likely pretty small.

Don't put any dry chemical fertilizer next to the trunk.. the
fertilizer can burn or scorch if it comes into direct contact with it.
I guess there's all kinds of organic type fertilizers that might work,
or applying a layer of compost that you water in well, though I like
diluted Miracle-Gro myself. This is a green or blue powder that you
dissolve in water, something like a couple of tablespoons per five
gallon bucket.
I strongly recommend laying down a 3 or 4-inch layer of composted
mulch around each tree. Be sure to extend the layer out to AT LEAST
the drip lines, and preferably far out enough to cover any new leaf
growth for the upcoming growth season.
Better yet, skip the chemical fertilizer and just add the mulch layer
for these small trees.

rick

(Monty) wrote in message . com...
I have several new trees (all within 2 years of age). I was wondering
what type of fertilization I should do and when. Thanks