Old 11-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] Pot packing...

The biggest problem with pots and other breakables
is that, if not packed properly, they can shift and come into contact with
each other and thus break or chip.

righto, that was one concern of mine.

To prevent this most packers cut strips
of cardboard a little wider than the long dimension of the the pot. Wrap
the cardboard around the pot and secure it with packing tape, then tape
across the ends so it can't escape the 'tube' you just made.

That would have been an other option, but would have taken a lot more space
than what I've been able to do with bubble wrap and nesting pots. I think
I should be safe.

Double boxing also helps and
is achieved by putting a thin layer of packing 'peanuts' on the floor of
the box and covering them with a second floor of cardboard. The sides can
also be treated this way. This prevents damage from dropping.

Oh! Fantastic idea, thank you :-) Now to find boxes that aren't too much
bigger than the ones I have the pots in ;-)

Tape all the
seams of the boxes with packing tape. The stresses boxes go through by
handlers is pretty incredible, not something you would want to watch.

Well, I've seen airport baggage handlers drop a $12K power wheelchair from
10' high, and not carring one whit, in plain view of the wheelchair
owner. I can't begin go to imagine what a handler would do when not
overseen by someone. However, this is HUGELY reduced, since I am getting a
20' container delivered at my home, I am packing it myself, and no one will
get in the container (one hopes, especially not thieves), until the other
end, at which point customs officers are supposed to open the container in
my presence. That's the theory anyway.

I'll make sure to inform y'all on how it goes. Thanks Brent

Nic
http://bmee.net

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++