Old 11-08-2003, 09:37 PM
JanuszB

Default Why does everyone p**s all over Purple Loosestrife?

I repeat: people are more destructive and invasive than any plant.

I think you are right. Purple Loosestrife exist on this continent for
200 years and only recently naziecologist ( America for American
plants !!!, native is better and more beautiful !!!) started noticing
its invasivenness and want to spent millions of dollars to eradicate
that "underplant". Comparing how many wetlands were lost through
farming irigation and new housing developments it would be wiser to
spend this money buying land and turning it into nature preserves than
killing plants that live here for two centuries. Nature evolution with
or without help of human will not be stopped and some plants will be
outcompeted and we can only pray that will be replaced by something
that can compete with pollution of air and water. If we must eradicate
some invasive plants let start with grass as killing hundred thousands
of acres of lawns will make our waters less contaminated from excess
chemicals and bees or butterflies will have a lot more colorful weeds
to feed on we can survive with a meadows dandelions, clover and
biological diversity will be improved maybe more than by
eradicating purple loosestrife;-))) Caring for nature do not have to
mean restoring precolonial biological diversity.

Janusz