Old 11-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Nell

Default Sticky stuff on Phal.

Hmm. I understand. However, I should be safe since my phals are growing
on a bay window in my kitchen (on 2nd story of house) where no ants have
ever ventured, and I have hever had aphids on any of my houseplants so I
don't think there is much chance of cross-contamination. However, I
have given the phals a sponge bath today so the honeydew is gone, for now.
Norma

Ray wrote:
Norma,

The aphids thing is part of the cycle that is possible:

The sweet substance produced by the plants attracts ants
The ants come, and set up shop with aphids
The aphids produce the honeydew which feeds that ants - at the expense of
the plant...

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Nell" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

Thanks Ray and Geir for the speedy reply and the helpful advice. I shall
probably do something about it in the morning. My fear, I guess, was
that I had aphids which I understand also produce a similar substance.
However, I won't look for trouble where there isn't any and will just
enjoy this wondrous plant.
Cheers,
Norma

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

Nell writes:

Someone suggested that thriving orchids produce honeydew. Could this be
what it is? If so, do I need to do anything?

Yes, they do, and it is perfectly normal. My epidendrum (flowering for
the second time this year, whee!) puts out vast amounts of sticky goo
around flowering time. I tend to get aphid problems because of the
goo, but a small amount of soapy water usually remedies that problem.

Geir