Old 12-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Rusty Hinge

Default Getting rid of yew stumps - advice please

The message
from "Judy Donovan" contains these words:

We have just cut down a yew hedge and are left with a long row of stumps and
roots - these are very sturdy so will take a bit of removing. Does anyone
know anyway to make this easier? I was wondering about applying something
to the stumps to try and kill them before trying to dig them up - would that
make it easier? they're very secure in the ground at the moment and it will
take some doing I think.

Drill a hole into them and pour in battery acid. Careful! The stuff
isn't neutralised by hydrocarbons, carbohydrates etc, it just carries on
removing the elements of water, leaving carbon eventually.

However, if you dig them out and don't damage them too much in doing so,
woodcarvers, turners, stickmakers &c would give their eye teeth for
them.

What have you done with the above-ground wood?

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.