Old 12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Chris Owens

Default Public water vs. well

How much I spend on watering the garden depends entirely on the
weather. For example, it's been more than a month since I turned
on an outside tap to water this year. Other years, I wind up
watering daily. On average, I generally just about double my
water bill for a 1-acre yard. I'm on septic, so the issue of
sewer fees doesn't arise. However, other places I've lived,
there has usually been some mechanism for excepting at least a
portion of the sewer fees if you can demonstrate that the water
being used is, indeed, not going into the sewer system. You'd
have to check that with your local water authority. All that
being said, personally, I'd never abandon an available water
source on property I owned; so, I'd go with the well-head.

Chris Owens

Foowah Ip wrote:

Dear fellow gardeners,

Could you tell the amount that you are spending for watering your
garden?

For gardeners using city water and sewer, could you estimate
annually how much you spend on watering the garden and how much extra
sewer fee because of that?

For gardeners using well water, any idea how much does it cost for
the electricity of the pump and the maintenance of the well annually?

The following is the dilemma that we are facing:

We are building a house on about an acre of property in New
Jersey(zoned 6), currently there is a well on the property, we are
wondering if we should keep it for gardening purpose only . City
water is available at the property and the new house will be connected
to it. The well testing report shows that the well is ok, with no
Ecoli but has Coliform, so a simple treatment of Chlorine is needed.
The township allows us to keep the well but under the condition that
there is no plumbing going into the new house from the well, so we
need to build a well house outside for the water tank and the switch
for the pump.

The cost to keep the well for irrigation for our case would be about
$4,200, which includes:
- Bring the well up to code(18" above ground)
- Building a well house
- Install new pump and water tank
- Lead the water and electricity lines from the well to the well house
- Chlorine treatment

The cost to abandon the well would be about $1,200, from a certified
well sealer.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Foowah