Old 12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Chris Owens

Default planting english walnuts

matt wrote:

greetings,

we live in northern va (zn:6, fairly acidic clay like soil) and was
interested in growing some english walnut trees. we can devote about
1/3 of an acre to this orchard. any questions that could be answered
would be appreciative.

1) does anyone know the proper distance to planting these trees?

60-100' from trunk to trunk . . . a third of an acre is room
enough for 2-3 trees

2) what is the ratio males to females that must be planted for proper
polination?

You don't have male and female trees; however, you will generally
get better production if you plant trees of more than one
variety, as self-fertility is often low.

3) at what season should we begin planting? month?

October

4) does anyone have a good nursery they can recommend with hardy
specimens?
5) are they succeptible to any diseases?

blight; but it's rare

6) how do they fare against deer?

Just fine once they reach appreciable size; you'd need to protect
them for several years

7) we live on septic so i'm curious how far from our leach field would
be considered a "safe" distance to plant these trees.

100 ft.

Chris Owens