Old 12-08-2003, 01:43 AM
ned

Default How to be an irritating neighbour.

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Mich" contains these words:

It just so happens that there are two boulders either side of this
plant, and it had crossed my mind to add a third immovable large
one.

snip
Are you sure it's reasonable to decorate your boundary to a

narrow
lane/corner leading to farmland? Isn't it inevitable that large and
unwieldy farm machines will have to get past somehow?

Janet.

My sentiments entirely.
I live on a narrow lane leading to a farm. I accept that modern
farming practices require large equipment and trim my overhanging
branches accordingly.
Grass verges can encroach onto the roadway at a surprising rate and
one cannot complain when the tractor or the combine chop them up -
they are only reclaiming what was rightfully their's in the first
place. I, too, have an entrance on the corner, which regularly gets
attention from long articulated vehicles, and is used as a passing
place by all manner of impatient motorists who quite happily assume my
neatly mown verge is just an extension of the highway.
I don't like it. But rather than erect anti-tank barriers, I accept
it.
That said, I do concede that some neighbours can be a tad less than
perfect.
Maybe Mich and his farmer deserve each other. ;-)

--
ned