Old 12-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default Oil, Soap & Water - was Sevin Pesticide caused aphid infestation

Well...yes...for a non toxic mix that works on contact (smothering) you have
to spray directly on the pests. Undersides of leaves I can handle even with
thick foliage thanks to the angled spray wand. The tough situation for me
is when the aphids curl the leaves and hide inside the curl. I one by one
uncurl as many as I can and spray with one of those quart hand
sprayers/misters. The best remedy is to spray before the leaves curl.

With aphids, by the way....get some tanglefoot and use it to keep the ants
away. Those ants serve as farmers and protectors of the aphids. Usually,
no ants, no aphids.

"Noone" wrote in message
But this doesn't kill the aphids that have congregated on the
undersides of the leaves. If you can spray the mixture on the
undersides of the leaves, then that works, but what about a large
plant with very thick foliage? If you miss just a few leafs with a lot
of aphids on the bottoms of them, then won't they reproduce and
produce thousands of offspring in the following weeks?