Old 12-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Lowering PH

In article ,
Repeating Decimal Bill wrote:

in article , tippy1 at wrote
on 5/30/03 12:39 PM:

I have one row of tomatoes that is in slightly sweet soil.
what should I use to lower the PH?

I presume by *sweet* you mean alkaline--not sugary.

I use gypsum or gypsite (a brand name for a mixture of sulfur and gypsum),
You can also get agricultural sulfur. Phosphoric acid will also do the job
and provide phosphorous as well. Ammonium sulfate or ammonium nitrate will
provide fixed nitrogen as well as acidity.

If you do not understand chemistry well enough to figure it out for
yourself, get someone who knows to help. It is not, as is said, rocket
science.

Pay no attention to the cranky, wannabe chemist Bill, Tippy.

To actually lower the soil PH thereby making it more acid, as noted in
your subject line, leaf mulch/mold and sawdust are good additives.
Sulphur will also get the PH down. Ask for it at your local nursery and
follow the directions on the package.