Old 12-08-2003, 09:09 AM
dstvns

Default Help ID'ing a tree - boxelder?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:40:04 GMT, "David J Bockman"
wrote:

Dirr describes the leaves of Boxelder (Acer negundo) thus:

"Opposite, pinnately compound, 3 to 5 (7 to 9) leaflets, ovate or
lance-oblong, 2 to 4" long, coarsely serrate or terminal one lobed, bright
green above, glabrous, lighter green beneath and slightly pubescent or
eventually glabrous; petiole---2 to 3" long."

So I doubt it's Boxelder.

I think it might be a white ash. I looked up some pictures online and
the 3-leaf arrangement looks very familiar, albeit the leaves on these
trees look "whispier", much thinner than the picture of ash leaves
online. The bark is also a gray color, and makes occasional
"diamonds" while going up the tree. These trees are tall, some are
taller than the resident oaks, but most are about average to all the
other trees.

Dan