Old 12-08-2003, 02:32 PM
David J Bockman

Default What's The Latest On Roundup Herbicide?

Respectfully, this is a terrible thing to do. Please, always apply
glyphosate at the recommended strength. There are other chemicals one can
use to paint stumps rather than the foliage sprouts that will kill a tree
just fine.

Dave

"dstvns" wrote in message
On 10 Aug 2003 05:42:47 -0700,
) wrote:

Is glyphosate as "safe as table salt" as alleged by Monsanto, or is it
extremely hazardous as contended by some environmentalists? What are
the latest opinions? Thanx, Jack

I dont know, but it's as expensive as platinum. A tiny bottle of
extra concentrated 50% glyphosate is $70 locally.

It is the only thing I know that will kill Norway maple trees. If you
chop the tree at the base in springtime, you will have over a dozen
3-foot tall sprouts by fall. A "painted" application of concentrated
roundup on the newly-cut stump is extremely effective (coming back to
older stumps and painting is not as effective). Pulling a 6-inch
stump out of the rocky ground is not an option.

I hated the option of using chemicals, but I refused to have my
backyard turned into a sanctuary for exotic invasives introduced to
this continent and allowed to naturalize and wipe out all other trees
and especially native undergrowth..

Dan
nw NJ