Old 12-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Mich

Default How to be an irritating neighbour.

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Mich
writes

However, the Hebe is a perfect position. Its been there fifteen years. I
didnt plant it. But it has grown and flowered so it must be in a good
position for it.

I have read the rest of the thread and am getting the vibes that

a) You have antagonised him somehow or other, otherwise why all of a
sudden is he coming so far over into your land?

I am not aware of having done so. We have not spoken to each other ( not
meant nastily) and I am not aware of any issue so....

or b) You have been a 'soft sucker' and he has 'used' your drive for
turning and as he has never been told off before, he is 'staking his
claim'

Possibly partly true! he has never used my drive as a turning point untill
the last few weeks. However, I would agree that my failure to make an issue
of problems previously may have given him the impression I am a "soft
sucker"

Although someone else has made a suggestion that has set me thinking.
It could just be this arrogant SOB thinks I have sold up and moved out and
that there is no one to complain about his antics!

There is a "For sale" sign at the bottom of the lane. The "for sale" has
recently had a "sold" posted over it.
It doesn not refer to my house or my land , but I know several psople have
thought that it did! In fact one complete stranger even knocked on my door
and asked to look around a few months ago.

This bloke could be under the same impression and is trying to take
advantage of a situation that doesnt exist ( ie no one at home , do as he
likes)

Do you know exactly where the boundary is? Could there be any dispute as
to just where the bounds lay?

I know precisely where my boundaries are. I own all the frontage onto the
main lane and all the side onto and including the lower part of the lane
which this guy runs across to get to his fields! he has an easement across
the lane ( footpath) but not over my land.

He knows where the boundaries are too. They are clear. The drive of my home
is drop curbed across the whole boundary. The bank ( lump) has a curb and
is planted up.

All of it is regularly maintained. There are no disputes possible.

Is this a new Tractor and/or trailer so that he needs more room?

Its not a new tractor, but he has never used a triple low loader in the lane
before. Yes he does need more room for this , but thats not my problem.
The access is smaller in size than when he bought his fields three years
ago.
Its still a cheek using my drive , and more, its all the worse because he
hasnt even asked for permission or even apologiesed for any "accident" ( not
as it was one - I watched him!) .

An apology actually would go a long way to making me feel better.
But as I said, I am thinking that he thinks I am not at home and he can get
away with blue murder here.

Many people have commented on Railway Lines, Boulders etc but I wouldn't
go down that line. I would drive angle iron stakes in every 6 ft or so
and put a 3ft Chain Link fence up. Not the prettiest thing out in the
country, (My last house was in the country so I do know what I am
talking about and living on the Isle of Wight I have your situation all
around). Why chain link? He is coming into the lane with machinery which
is not nice and smooth like a car. The 'bits sticking out' could catch
on just one bit of the chain link fence and pull the lot out,

Along with other ideas raised by people I am seriously considering this one.
It is possible. The boundary is clearly marked and it would not be against
any by laws etc. In fact there are several other people down in the village
who have chain link on their drives and boundaries.

therefore
as soon as it is erected, write to him pointing out what you have done
and tell him any damage done by him will be charged for. At the bottom
of the letter and under your signature put 'copy to (name of your
solicitor AND copy to your Local Council, assuming that part of his
tractor /trailor will be on Highways Department land)' Send that letter
recorded delivery this is most important. Don't talk to him and tell him
what you are going, just do it!!

I have taken on board all that you say.

On the inside of this ugly looking chain link, plant a new hedge so you
don't see the ugly thing:-))

YOU are maintaining YOUR bit of land:-)

Positive action and recorded letters work wonders :-))
Been there, done that, got the apologies.

Thanks.