Old 12-08-2003, 03:17 PM
NJ

Default Goldfish fry question - pond

"Nicole Thompson" wrote in message

However, I'm wondering if the older goldfish would eat them......
Everything I've found on-line says they'll definitely eat the eggs, but

will
they eat the baby fish once they've hatched?

Congratulations on your "living pond", Nicole. I am currently raising 15
goldfish fry indoors because the first time I found fry in my pond, they got
eaten. The next time we found eggs, I caved in to the whims of my
15-year-old, and removed about 30 eggs from the pond. About 18 of them
hatched. Raising fry independent of the pond is very worky: aeration
device for fry tank, liquifry food, frozen brine shrimp, frequent water
changes, etc. You can search my earlier post from last week in which I
detailed the ways in which these "Small Fry = Big Project!" The fry in
question are now over 3 weeks old, and they are still mosquito-sized,
although they are getting appreciably bigger. I guess I'm saying that if
you really want to save the fry, it will take lots of work.

NJ