Old 12-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Vegetarians ( Compost ingredients?

(simy1) wrote:

| The bacteria in our gut who are responsible for B-12 do not appreciate
| an acid environment (both coffee and alcohol have low pH). It is
| possible that B12 in cows be produced in the intestine also. Either
| way, all manures are known to have large amounts of B12.
|
| I would be most interested in how you established the pH of "alcohol".
| Any hints? What do you suppose those bacteria make of the pH in our
| stomachs (anywhere from 1.0 - 4.0) Why would the very low pH of our
| stomach contents fail to bother these bacteria while that of some
| foods are presumed to do so after they have passed the stomach?
|
| I see what you are saying. The pH of wine is typically around 4.5.
| Hard cider goes down to 3.8 or so, though I do not know the pH of beer
| (probably substantially higher). I know very few people who drink pure
| alcohol. Most Bacteria do not live in the stomach, as you suggest,
| because it is too acid. I can only assume that coffee and alcohol
| either go straight through (as most liquids do), or preserve some of
| their acidity.

Beer is rather higher, yes. You have missed most of the consequences
of what B. Server said.

pH is meaningful only for compounds that ionise; alcohol is not
one such, unless my memory is at fault. Coffee is not particularly
acid. And acid stomach contents tend to get neutralised as they pass
further down the gut, though I don't know the mechanisms, which is
why bacteria can live in our intestine at all.

I don't know who first invented the pseudo-science that you are
quoting, but I have seen it before, and it is complete nonsense.
So, I am pretty certain, is the theory that humans can thrive for
a few decades with no vitamin B-12 intake at all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.