Old 12-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Dan Dietrich

Default Maple Tree Bark Disease

The tree is about a 5 to 6 inch maple located in northeastern Illinois
(Chicago Suburbs).
Last summer the bark problem started. It was a hot dry summer. This summer
has
been cooler than normal and much more rain than normal - our lawns are still
green!
This spring the leaves had some spots on them. I researched it a bit and
decided it
was probably wind scorch. I saw similar spots on several other trees in the
neighborhood.
There were some very strong winds (60 mph) in the spring.
The area in question faces west and gets the hottest afternoon sun.
The foliage is mostly normal, maybe a little thinner than normal.