Old 12-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Something ate our pumpkin :-(

"Martin wrote in message
Having started our allotment in July (OK, it wasn't planned that way, but

it
happened), the kids were quite proud of the single proto-pumpkin we found

on
Friday night. Last night, I discovered someone else had taken a fancy to
it - someone with small teeth... Squirrels seem the prime candidate since
I've seen lots on the site.

So, in case we get any more (there are a couple of flowers still), any
thoughts on the best way to keep such nasties off the patch? I'd wondered
about a chicken wire cage, or re-using the netting we don't need over the
strawberries any more. Any more suggestions? (Trip wire and a shotgun

has
already been suggested by a colleague ;-)

Could be squirrels but it's probably mice, although foxes some times have a
go at ours but then they have a go at anything, spuds, labels, beans.......
Yes, I would think that wire would do but if it is mice make sure the holes
are not large enough for them to squeeze through.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.